Re: [Xen-users] Re: domU corrupt after server crash, help needed trying

On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 5:42 AM, Rudi Ahlers <rudiahlers@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Fajar,
>
> I got the commands via google search, so I didn't know that losetup was only
> meant for file-backed storage.

If it's a block device (LVM, partition, etc.) you can skip losetup and
go directly to
kpartx -av  /dev/data/hfserver2

> Unfortunately there's no backups :(

Ouch. Sorry to hear that.
So that makes it what ... your second corruption?
On my environment FS corruption is USUALLY because one of these :
- human error (like the admin mounting the same block device twice on
different servers). This usually happens on shared-storage systems
(SAN, NAS, etc).
- SAN error (like when it got temporarily disconnected, and then
reconnected again)
- server hardware error (bad memory, bad disk controller, etc.)

I suggest you check all three to make sure corruption doesn't happen
again. If both corruption are on the same hardware, then most likely
the server hardware is bad.

You could PROBABLY still salvage some data from the broken domU. Try
shutting it down, and mount it again on dom0. Sometimes fsck will find
recovered inodes in /lost+found, so perhaps some of your data is still
there.

BTW, VolGroup00 IS the name of domU's VG right? It's not dom0's VG?
Cause if it were dom0's you might have more problems ahead.

Regards,

Fajar