Re: [Xen-users] Qcow utilities

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 11:50 AM, Joe Hammerman <jhammerman@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> OK what would you put in the minimal root image? Are there any use cases
> where this has succeeded? It seems that the minimal root file system would be
> just as susceptible to corruption...

that's why it has to be read only! :-)

i'd contemplate two options:

1: (easier): do a full but small install of your preferred distro, use
it as read-only, and add NFS for /etc, /var, /home...  principal con:
you can't change anything on that root without taking down all DomU's
that use it.

2: (funnier): check busybox, it makes it easy to create a complete
bootable root filesystem on less than 10MB.  just add a few scripts to
mount your NFS.  principal con: the busybox shell environment is
functional but not comfortable, you have to add most of the usual
things via NFS, maybe bind-remount over 'startup' directories, or
using chroot to make most of your system beleive the NFS is the root.

--
Javier