Re: [Xen-users] Limiting domU network?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Limiting domU network?
From: Simon Hobson <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 08:16:28 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 01 May 2009 00:17:20 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
terii wang wrote:
Is there any way to limit or throttle domU's network? Something similar like the CPU cap/weight?

I got few abusive VPS clients running tons of proxies maxing out the network bandwidth. Thanks.

You could employ traffic shaping on the network, that's what we do at work. It's quite easy to nest HTB classes to achieve a situation where multiple customers have their own traffic allocation/limit and within that, their traffic is shaped & prioritised (eg smtp is lower priority than http etc). If there's a lot of customers, then you'd probably want to automate the rule build, and you might run into problems fitting all the classes into 256 identifiers.

You could do this on the Dom0, but I suspect that might be quite tricky. We do it on the boundary router - which is closest to the bottleneck.

--
Simon Hobson