[Xen-users] Why does DomU CPU usage increase during live migration?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Why does DomU CPU usage increase during live migration?
From: S. Ercan Yüzbasioglu <ercan.yuzbasioglu@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 12:09:47 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 03:10:45 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi dear XENers,

I did a quick experiment, and I observe that, during live-migration of a paravirtualized DomU from a Host to another (identical) one, DomU's CPU usage drastically increases: especially the user and sys values.

I would expect that Dom0 should be the only domain whose CPU usage is supposed to increase. The migration process is supposed to be transparent to the DomU, right? So I cannot justify this behaviour. Does anybody have an idea about this?

I ask this as a general discussion, cut I can provide specific information about my system if necessary.

Hint: DomU boots using Dom0's kernel, I suspect this might be the reason, but why? Doesn't it has its own copy of kernel?

Good day!
Ercan