Re: [Xen-users] Xen system hang or freeze

Over the last year, I've experienced a couple of sources of lockups.

The first was resolved by going to the stock xen 2.6.18.8 kernel compiled from source (had been using the Debian etch kernel; found commentary online describing the same symptoms on Ubuntu, Redhat, and CentOS though, each with their distro-specific kernel).

This one tended to result in kernel oops messages--soft IRQ lockups as I recall. Lockup would start with a domU and within a few minutes would kill the dom0 too. The fastest way to trigger this one was to create and shutdown domU's, although I don't recall that being the only way.

The second, with the stock kernel, was an errant USB hub attached to a xen host. Removing the hub resolved the issue. These were complete, sudden lockups of the dom0 and all domUs -- basically everything. Higher traffic over the USB port would trigger this lockup.

So, for those who haven't tried the stock xen kernel, and are able to try it (based on driver support, etc.), it might help.

--t