RE: [Xen-users] Creating DomU by copying the files from another DomU

To: "tanuj bansal" <bansal.tanuj@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Creating DomU by copying the files from another DomU
From: "Ferreira, N.L." <N.L.Ferreira@xxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 19:51:09 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 10:51:51 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hey Tanuj

So, you want to create another domU, by cloning one of domU's running on dom0, that's it?
First thing. Do you already have a partition (/dev/sda9) ready to be flooded with a domU?

Taking your steps as an example, going to copy dom1 contents (sda7) to a new dom3 (sda9).

0. fdisk -l should already show a /dev/sda9 (otherwise, you have to create the partition)
1. mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda9
2. mkdir /mnt/dom3
3. mount /dev/sda9 /mnt/dom3
3. xm shutdown dom1 ; cp -ax /dev/sda7/* /mnt/dom3
   note: if you have a partition table in dom1, you are going to loose it in dom3
4. cd /mnt/dom3; edit /etc/fstab to meet your needs
5. umount /mnt/dom3
6. cp /etc/xen/dom1 /etc/xen/dom3
7. edit /etc/xen/dom3 to meet your needs
8. xm create dom1; xm -c create dom3
9. check that dom3 boots properly

Cheers,
N.