Re: [Xen-users] Forwarding USB-Modem into guest? Impossible?

To: lists@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Forwarding USB-Modem into guest? Impossible?
From: Martin Fernau <m.fernau@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 18:41:54 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 09:42:35 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Thomas,

Am Dienstag, 31. März 2009 18:28:06 schrieb Thomas Halinka:
> Hi Martin,
>
> Am Dienstag, den 31.03.2009, 18:24 +0200 schrieb Martin Fernau:
> > Hi,
> >
> > is there any way to forward usb-modems into Windows guest atm?
> > I tried it with
> >
> > --- cut
> > usb=1
> > usbdevice='host:047e:2892'
> > --- cut
> >
> > but I only get an error in my logs:
> >
> > --- cut
> > usb_host: error - device has no matching configuration
> > Warning: could not add USB device host:047e:2892
> > --- cut
> >
> > If I try the the same syntax (other address of course) for one
> > USB-Storage- Device I get no error and can access this usb device from
> > inside my guest.
>
> USB-Passthrough works only which a small amount of devices, mostly
> Mass-Storage and some other...
>
> We had goog experiences with passthroughing the whole USB-Controller.
>
> Maybe this is an option for you?
I'm afraid that this solution won't work for me as my board don't support vt-d
:(
I'm a bit dissapointed that I buy real server hardware (FSC PRIMERGY RX100 S5)
but don't get the advantage of vt-d as other cheaper desktop computers have...
I can't believe that I need to buy hardware for several thousand euros just to
have possibilities users with 500€ computers have...

so... pushing the whole usb controller into a guest need vt-d as far as I
know.