Re: [Xen-users] Dell PowerEdge 2850 / Xen / Windows 2003 / Debian

To: Joseph Campisi III <jcampisi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Dell PowerEdge 2850 / Xen / Windows 2003 / Debian
From: Brian Lavender <brian@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 12:10:14 -0700
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 12:10:55 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 02:25:21PM -0400, Joseph Campisi III wrote:
>    Hi, recently I came across a deal on a bunch of Dell PowerEdge 2850
>    servers and I was hoping to use them to run Debian with Xen to provided
>    virtualization support for Windows 2003 and other Debian
>    installations.  I was hoping to install 2 copies of Windows 2003 as
>    well as 2 copies of Debian all on top of the DOM0 Debian installation.
[snip]

>    flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
>    mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx
>    lm constant_tsc pebs bts pni monitor ds_cpl cid cx16 xtpr

I would skip over those servers and look for something that has the VT
instruction set if you want to use them to run Windows on Xen. You can
do paravirtualization with Debian, but you won't be able to do the full
hardware virtualization with Windows. That is unless Xen supports
instruction rewriting now. I don't believe that it does, but someone
will correct me if I am wrong. ;-)

Here are the flags for my processor with VT. Or, you can go with AMD. The
flag for it is smx. I believe.

Here are the flags for my CPU. See the vmx flag?

flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe
syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl pni
monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm ida

brian
--
Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/