[Xen-users] Re: Xen and gnu gpl

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: Xen and gnu gpl
From: Christian Tramnitz <chris.ace@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 11:02:34 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 03:03:30 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mark Williamson wrote:
Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer ;-)

That is true however it is only the case when the new work is a "derived work" of the old code. So if I add some extra features for the Linux Kernel, which is GPL-licensed, I have to distribute my new enhanced kernel under the terms of the GPL. Typically the patch you produced will be GPL-licensed too since it will be inspired heavily by the existing code and therefore considered a "derived work".

On the other hand, userspace apps running *on* the Linux kernel are not *part* of it and are not typically considered derived works. For this reason you can write closed-source apps for the Linux kernel (for instance). Many companies do this and it's generally agreed to be OK. Creating closed-source *drivers* is more of a grey area.

The main answer is the same as above: XenServer adds management functionality on top of Xen and some extra drivers but if they are not a *derived work* of Xen itself then they don't have to be under the GPL. They're just apps that happen to be running on top of Xen.

A second possible answer, although I think it is less of an issue in this case, is that if Citrix/XenSource own the copyright on some GPL-licensed code in Xen they would be within their rights to *also* sell closed-source software derived from this. I'm not aware of them doing this but it is allowed to do this with GPL software *if and only if* you are the copyright holder.

Im not an lawyer either but I think this has nothing to do with "derived work" and/or kernel vs. userspace but rather with the second answer: the fact that Citrix owns Xen and releases it (kind of) using different licenses, for a more detailed explanation see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-licensing

Best regards,
   Christian