Re: [Xen-users] xm migrate headache

To: Rainer Sokoll <rainer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] xm migrate headache
From: Srivathsa <srivathsa_karanth@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 18:26:27 +0530
Cc: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 04:55:58 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello Rainer,

I. By default, Xend does not start a HTTP server. It does start a Unix domain socket management server for xm to communicate with Xend.
But in order to support cross-machine live migration, this support has to be enabled.

1.  Make a backup of your xend-config.sxp file: (on hotsa)
    cp -pr /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp.default

2.  Edit /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp and make the following changes:
    #(xend-unix-server yes)
    (xend-relocation-server yes)
    (xend-relocation-port 8002)
    (xend-relocation-address '')
    (xend-relocation-hosts-allow '')
    #(xend-relocation-hosts-allow '^localhost$ ^localhost\\.localdomain$')
3.  Restart Xend:
    service xend restart

II. Exporting a shared storage via NFS .

Configure NFS and export a shared storage via NFS.
1.   Edit /etc/exports and add in the following line:
     /xen               *(rw,sync,no_root_squash)
2.   Save /etc/exports and restart the NFS server. Make sure that the NFS server starts by default:
     service nfs start
     chkconfig nfs on
3.   After starting the NFS server on hosta, we can then mount it on hostb:
     mount hosta:/xen /xen
4.   Proceed to start Xen guest on hosta
     xm create -c pvm

III.  Performing live migration
1. Perform the live migration from hosta to hostb by running the following command:
   xm migrate –live pvm hostb
3. Try to open multiple terminal windows on both Xen hosts with the following command:
   watch -n1 xm list
4. Watch how the live migration is performed. Take note how long it took.

regards
Sri

Rainer Sokoll wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to (live-)migrate a paravirtualized machine from hosta to
hostb:

-----8<----
hosta:~ # xm list pvm
Name                                        ID   Mem VCPUs      State Time(s)
pvm                                         64   384     1     -b----    0.5

hostb:~ # xm list pvm
Error: Domain 'pvm' does not exist.

hosta:~ # xm migrate pvm 192.168.0.2
Error: /usr/lib64/xen/bin/xc_save 4 64 0 0 0 failed
Usage: xm migrate <Domain> <Host>

Migrate a domain to another machine.

-h, --help           Print this help.
-l, --live           Use live migration.
-p=portnum, --port=portnum
                     Use specified port for migration.
-r=MBIT, --resource=MBIT
                     Set level of resource usage for migration.

hosta:~ # xm list pvm
Name                                        ID   Mem VCPUs      State Time(s)
pvm                                         64   384     1     ---s--    0.6

hostb:~ # xm list pvm
Name                                        ID   Mem VCPUs      State Time(s)
pvm                                         61   384     1     --p---    0.0

As you can see, the machine (called "pvm" got migrated, but on hosta
the status is still "s", which should not happen, as far as I see.
Both VMs are in logical volumes, and the volumes are connected via drbd
in primary/primary mode.
The hosts are OpenSUse 11.0 with xen 3.2.
Since I am a newbie to Xen, I might have missed something - but what?
Any hint is appreciated,

Rainer