Re: [Xen-users] VirtualBox on XEN DomU

Hi there,

> Unfortunately, the Sun Fire V40Z server, on which I want to install a
> win2k3 server, has 1st gen. Opteron CPUs, which do not support
> hardware virtualization. If they would, I could install Windows
> directly on XEN as a domU.

I see.

> XEN supports Windows only on HVM capable hardware, but VirtualBox does
> not need HVM, so it seemed to be a good solution.

Yes, my desktop machine has no HVM support and I used VirtualBox to run
Windows XP on it for testing - I've been impressed with VirtualBox.

> I also tried VMWare, but it does not run on dom0 either.
>
> The dom0 is a Debian Etch and there is a domU with Oracle Enterprise
> Linux. Maybe I should replace XEN to another solution, which supports
> both Windows and Linux without HVM, and can boot them from LVM.
> VirtualBox can only use image files.
>
> Is there such a VM?

Hrmmm.  You won't be able to run any fast-performing virtualiser *within* Xen
on that system, so if you need to run Windows on this box you'll *either* have
to use Qemu in a domU and take a big performance hit or switch from Xen to
another solution.  Assuming you *do* decide to remove Xen, you could try:

* VirtualBox News here: http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/News
lists for Jun 5, 2007, ""raw disk support", which should be what you want.
Are you sure it won't work?  Or do you have an older version of VirtualBox
installed?  (in which case, maybe you could just upgrade that?).  You should
just be able to pass partitions, LVM volumes, etc to it as raw disks, I'd
expect.

* You could probably also use VMware Server to boot guests from LVM or
whatever?  Or if you don't absolutely require LVM you could install VMware ESX
( think there's a free-as-in-beer version of this now) on the host and use
that to manage all your guests.

* Qemu + kQemu but I don't know if kqemu is intended to be a particularly
robust / secure solution.  I haven't had the impression it's a particularly
good option if you have other choices.

Lots of choices, anyhow - unfortunately, most of them involve a change in your
setup to avoid Xen :-/

Cheers,
Mark