Re: [Xen-users] multiple bridges on non-addressed interfaces

To: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] multiple bridges on non-addressed interfaces
From: Steve Wray <steve.wray@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 08:30:01 +1300
Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 11:31:09 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 7:23 AM, Steve Wray <steve.wray@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
However, this only actually *works* (for the domUs) if the interface is
assigned an address in dom0.

Ie:

auto eth2
iface eth2 inet static
 address 172.16.2.253
 netmask 255.255.255.0
 up /etc/xen/scripts/network-bridge start netdev=eth2

works while this:

auto eth2
iface eth2 inet manual
 up /etc/xen/scripts/network-bridge start netdev=eth2

does not.

Why don't you simply create the bridge in Lenny? Here's what I use in Ubuntu

auto br11
iface br11 inet manual
    bridge_ports eth0.11

This is a bridge-on-vlan config. I don't even need to specifiy
settings for eth0 or eth0.11, Ubuntu takes care of them automatically.
If you want to bridge eth2 then something like this should work.

auto br2
iface br2 inet manual
    bridge_ports eth2

Then you simply set your domU to use br2 on it's vif settings. br2 and
eth2  should be up, without any ipv4 address assigned.

Ok this works, thanks for the tip! I had thought that the Xen scripts for setting up the bridges had some magic to hook them into Xen but apparently not.

I'm curious why it doesn't work 'the old way'; whether this is a change in Xen or in Debian. It seems odd.

Regards,

Fajar

--
Please remember that an email is just like a postcard; it is not confidential nor private nor secure and can be read by many other people than the intended recipient. A postcard can be read by anyone at the mail sorting office and expecting what is written on it to be private and secret is not realistic. Please hold no higher expectation of email.

If you need to send confidential information in an email you need to use encryption. PGP is Pretty good for this.