Re: [Xen-users] Does Xen 3.3 support giga bit network in the guest?

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 9:31 PM, Abdul Qadeer <qadeer.qadeer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> That's not right. How did you create your domUs? Using the traditional
>> "xm create", or with virt-install/virt-manager?
>
> The host (dom0) and guests (domU) were FC8.  I was using the Xen 3.0
> kernel which comes with FC8.  I created domUs using virt-manager GUI

Any particular reason to use FC8?
Personally I use RHEL5.3 (Centos should be just the same). It's easier
to get support since many people use it.

I'm not sure what Xen version FC8 has, but RHEL/CentOS has been
updated to Xen 3.1 plus lots of backports and fixes (even though RPM
version number stays 3.0)
As a side note, on RHEL/Centos5 you can easily try out Xen 3.3.1 using
Gitco's RPM http://www.gitco.de/repo/

>> What did you modify? is it files on /etc/xen, or using virsh?
>
> I manually edited the files in etc/xen.

... and you start it later using the GUI, right?
I haven't used virt-manager much, but there's a possibility that the
GUI stores its own settings elsewhere, and the settings are written to
/etc/xen/* when you start the domain. In other words, you need to find
another way to edit domU config (either via GUI or virsh).

> I have been trying to build latest Xen code from source.  There have been
> different
> issues (e.g. Xen kernel not booting due to LVM problems, or initrd failing
> because
> it can't find SCSI based raid etc.).

It's a lot easier to simply :
- Use RHEL/Centos5
- install kernel-xen
- update xen and related package from Gitco.

That way all Redhat kernel stuff (including what modules are
available, what should be included on initrd, etc.) stays the same,
and (usually) you don't have to worry about a missing module prevents
a system from booting.

Regards,

Fajar