Re: [Xen-users] Win2003 DomU driver problem

To: James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Win2003 DomU driver problem
From: Andrew Lyon <andrew.lyon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 13:57:00 +0000
Cc: Felix Chu <felixchu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 07 Feb 2009 05:58:19 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=2Nyaj1DYFRaArSVxZp7OvvUestAAdc2dfOuSLwCLJFc=; b=dy0+mjvIVI9nOdBnjEkK83GZCXAKUYFlH72FZEn4FROdkFDVkDyA6/S0wJgEC8lWSD 1YRnaghzCKNeBqNzTzGgYozyumKQT1vJe5y4+KigUNOi/Uy3qKwF//g1CaHrRxm9xTWp nBRi7SIUNHiQvkrOVzMgMRPWh9nGQWwzFYA20=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 12:25 PM, James Harper
<james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I just installed Xen PV Driver 0.9.12-pre13 on my Win2003 server DomU.
>> After installed I check the Device Manager, there are still two device
>> with "!" message. Below is the screenshot.
>>
>> (1)   Intel(R) 82371SB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
>>
>> (2)   Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
>>
>> How can I fix the driver problem of these two devices?
>>

> You'll just have to put up with it unfortunately. A previous version of
> GPLPV was 'hiding' the devices, but that was causing some delay problems
> during boot and some other issues.
>
> Basically the problem is that by the time it is possible to identify the
> devices I needed to hide, windows had already been told about them, so
> taking them away made it upset.
>
> There is a patch you can apply to Xen 3.3.1 to allow hiding via a
> different method - telling qemu to hide the devices - which works
> properly and allows the qemu cdrom device to still be used which
> supports eject etc. I haven't heard of anyone except me having any
> success with it though.

James, I've tried to use it several times but I think I applied the
patch incorrectly, could you post some detailed instructions of how to
patch and build qemu, which version of xen does the patch work with?
I'm thinking of switching to unstable from 3.3.1 for veridian support
anyway :).

Andy