[Xen-users] unexpected sizes

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] unexpected sizes
From: Brian Krusic <brian@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 15:24:18 -0800
Delivery-date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 09:38:55 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,

So I shutdown my domU to copy it to a backup location (yes, I am still trying to find a way to do a live backup/snapshot so if anyone has suggestions, I would love to hear).

So, du -h /var/lib/xen/images/host.img

... shows 18G

So I copy it to my NFS mounted backup machine and upon doing a du -h / nfs-share/backups/host.img

... show 7.6G.

This domU is actually set to have 300G but I didn't allocate all of the disk space during domU creation.

Any ideas?  I would prefer some predictability here.

Incidentally, from within the domU itself, I do a df -h and I get;

/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 282G size, 5.2G used, 263G available
/dev/xvda1 99M size, 21M used, 74M available
tmpfs 2.0G size, 0 used, 2.0G available

- Brian