[Xen-users] Re: Loosing vmx flag with Lenny 2.6.26-1-xen-amd64 on Q9400

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: Loosing vmx flag with Lenny 2.6.26-1-xen-amd64 on Q9400
From: Markus Kiefer <markus@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 09:45:29 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 00:46:25 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi.

Fajar A. Nugraha schrieb:
On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 10:23 PM, Markus Kiefer <markus@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I think the HVM (as well as some other) flag is hidden intentionally
on some versions of xen. Same thing happened on my RHEL 5 + Xen 3.3.1
while the flag still shows up on RHEL 5's stock Xen. Both systems are
able to start HVM domU normally.
I tried. And it didn't work.
Creation stops immediately, with xm stating that my cpu doesn't support HVM.
:-/

Did you check the BIOS? If I remembered correctly, the flag still
shows even when BIOS disabled it.

I just checked again:
Virtualization is enabled,
VT for direct I/O is enabled,
Should I enable Trusted execution?
As far as I can tell from Intel's website, there is no version of the Q9400 that doesn't support VT. By the way, the machine is a Dell Optiplex 755MT.

There is another looong way to check it :
- boot normal kernel
- install vmware or Virtualbox
- install 64bit guest

If it works, CPU supports HVM and enabled in BIOS. If it doesn't,
something wrong with one of them.

Sigh. I'll try that.

Regards,
Markus