Re: [Xen-users] dom0 got load of 80

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 4:05 PM, Heiko <rupertt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 9:47 AM, Fajar A. Nugraha <fajar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 3:30 PM, Heiko <rupertt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> i dont have set any option to give dom0 a seperate CPU or RAM,
>>> do I have to set  (dom0-cpus 0) to (dom0-cpus 1) for that?
>>
>> It would be best, yes.
>> Here's what I use on xend-config.sxp
>>
>> (dom0-cpus 1)
>> (dom0-min-mem 256)
>>
> Hello,
>
> i did set this option and will restart the xend later?

You don't need to restart actually.
Just run

xm vcpu-set 0 1
xm vcpu-pin 0 0 0

This will set dom0 to use only 1 CPU, CPU0. To have other domU NOT use
that CPU, you need to add this option on every domU config

cpus="^0"

If you don't want to restart domUs, then simply look for the ones
that's using CPU0 and relocate it

xm vcpu-list
xm vcpu-pin ...

Note that this doesn't directly related to your problem though, but
IMHO it's a best-practice.

> Can i do the xend restart without any influence on the domUs?

You should be. But again, it's not necessary in this scenario.

> mmh, in the top below I can see that much pyhton stuff.
> My xen domU check uses "xm list", can that be a problem?
> This check gets exectuted for each domU, so i can happen that it runs
> as much at one as there are domUs.

Probably. You should limit it to run only one at a time (I don't know
how though).

>  6553 ?        S     18:37 /usr/bin/python /usr/sbin/yum-updatesd

You MIGHT want to try disabling this as well.

service yum-updatesd stop
chkconfig yum-updatesd off

It uses python, and not very useful anyway if you don't use a GUI
(gnome,kde) on that server.

On a side note, you might want to add some memory monitoring on that
server. That should give you some info on when, how, and why you can
get out-of-memory.

Regards,

Fajar