Re: [Xen-users] Distributed xen or cluster?

To: lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Distributed xen or cluster?
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 06:47:48 +0700
Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 15:49:07 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 1:15 AM, lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> migrating a Linux PV with 500MB memory using 100Mbps link between dom0s
>> took about 48s. During most of this time domU can keep on doing its job
>
> Most of my guests are using 1024MB of memory. A minute or two of down time is
> not the worst thing

I think you misunderstood. Live migration of a domU with 1G memory
might take a minute or two, but the actual downtime is about a SECOND
or two :D

> So how does this work, you have a standby vm server which is already aware of
> the guest then, and the migration transfers the memory over to that other
> server.

Pretty much it. The actual command line is simply "xm migrate -l <domU
name> <new dom0>". If you've setup xend and dom0s properly, the domU
will be migrated to the new dom0.

All dom0s should be able to access the same storage by using the path.
This means that if you use iscsi (imported on dom0) for domU backend,
you should use /dev/disk/by-path or /dev/disk/by-uuid to specify
domU's disk instead of using (for example) /dev/sda.

Same thing goes for network. If you use bridged networking, all dom0s
should have bridges with the same name connected to the same network.

Regards,

Fajar