Re: [Xen-users] Populating a guest image

To: "Ferreira, N. L. (Nuno)" <n.l.ferreira@xxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Populating a guest image
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 17:06:18 +0700
Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 02:07:02 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 4:27 PM, Ferreira, N. L. (Nuno)
<n.l.ferreira@xxxxx> wrote:
> 1 - Virt-install creates self-contained guests (kernel inside domU) whereas
> xen-strap not.
> Which one of these is easier to migrate to other similar physical machines?

Definitely self-contained guests. That way :
- you can easily migrate domUs without having to worry what kernel is
available on dom0. For example, migrating from Linux dom0 to
Opensolaris dom0.
- When setup correctly, you have the possibility to use the same image
for both PV and HVM domU.

> 2 - Is it possible to convert a domU which reads the kernel from dom0 to a
> self-contained guest, like the one created by virt-install? If yes, how?

Yes :
- make sure a kernel-xen (or similar) package is installed on domU
- setup initrd and grub.conf on domU correctly
- modify domU xen config to use a bootloader (e.g. pygrub) instead of
a kernel and initrd

Regards,

Fajar