RE: [Xen-users] Can you convert Windows LVM domU to sparse img file?

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Can you convert Windows LVM domU to sparse img file?
From: "Dustin Henning" <Dustin.Henning@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 10:21:26 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 07:22:14 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Ross's solution below is probably the easiest and most practical.
However, I believe I once saw a utility to create sparse files with DD.  The
first problem with attacking from that angle would be that you would first need
to boot your Windows system and use some utility to zero out all blank space.
The second problem would be that legitimate 0s might be treated sparsely, and
of course, I could be making this up completely, as such a utility may not even
exist anyway.
        As Māris suggested, the MFT will have to be clean (or you may be able
to get away with a --force in ntfsclone), and you may need kpartx as well,
depending on how your lvm is set up.
        Regarding Ross's step 3, you can do the same thing with mkfs.ntfs
instead of booting to something for fdisk.  Additionally I'm not certain you
need to do that step at all with ntfsclone anyway, as I believe it will
"reformat" the destination sparse file (by copying the original MFT) when you
run ntfsclone (I suggest this because I used ntfsclone Saturday and couldn't go
from a 20GB drive to a 10GB one on account of the destination being too small
even though only 6 or 7 GB was in use, and I know the MFT isn't 3+ GB, but I
don't remember if I did a --force).  However, if I am correct, it would imply
that you also need to keep in mind that 1) it would be necessary to ntfsresize
if the destination sparse file was bigger than the source partition and 2) it
would be necessary to ntfsresize before ntfsclone in order to get to a smaller
destination safely (supposing a --force did work, the thing is, a --force could
technically copy to a smaller destination even if it copied the MFT, and that
would certainly upset Windows, if not other systems, mounting the file after
the fact).
        Also, and this is untested theory (in that I don't know whether or not
you can write directly to a physical/loop device over scp), but you may be able
to mount the loop device on the destination machine and use scp://<mnt/loop>
for the destination file instead of copying the file after the fact.
        Finally, keep in mind that this sparse file will be just like a MS
Virtual PC vhd file, it will grow as you write and delete.  In order to bring
it back down, you would have to do something like my first paragraph suggests,
or follow Ross's steps again from one loop device to another.  This is why I
think I recall seeing a utility to do that, though, I believe a sparse file
mounted loop with ext3 on it would have the same problem growing with writes
and deletes otherwise, though not necessarily to the same degree, and it seems
like I saw such a solution for that a long time ago.
        Dustin