Re: [Xen-users] using encrypted swap & tmpfs in Xen DomUs ?

To: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] using encrypted swap & tmpfs in Xen DomUs ?
From: PGNet <pgnet.trash+xen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 18:29:40 -0800
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 18:30:25 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:sender :to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references :x-google-sender-auth; bh=AGCZ0iKsOHNLB40bpv4DdJRZ7e8lEHbMrBlaCI1LQG0=; b=P25D4nnezZn06bBTGCeNBOXYJFnhkSY7yZm3mfmuyM+ir8MxTS6IyHZlGx1Li7nQfT Plp5gd+YkOsd2VWzqtqmmuybDZTegtW9hedDb0tRZ12flkX2zoclVN4K38VTUoDeO5Sq V7QLA4p2BiVPTOKJas5gSXdy+ysP3CXZQw1Xs=
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version :content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition :references:x-google-sender-auth; b=sH3prxR5w40zqSCjWETu+xUJtbdQl01xQDJWX+9HPbAFUSBvgOHQVT3HhznzpzoUli oA3KTUqFfFmSqUWpqaIinCmapLkPEoYKcSzroHueM3SpvBA9jfhNmZuBNJIkWeV7cZzK dxCbcG2GJJ0KcoAHzDK6CcTQiynjPeIDxRhsw=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 6:03 PM, Fajar A. Nugraha <fajar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Generally speaking best practices on standalone hosts should be apply on
> domU hosts.

Sure, in general.

But I'm looking for any Xen 'gotchas', in partuclar, performance
related issues due to 'communication & traffic' between xen/hypervisor
components.

Tough to say specifically what I'm looking for, when I don't know what
I'm looking for ;-)

> I am curious though, which reference points you that it's good to
> encrypt swap while still having filesystem unencrypted?

Simply usage. Primarily,

-- I need remote reboot capability ... iiuc, can't do that if / is encrypted.

-- Physical penetration is not an issue.

-- My data & configs are all on attached/remote drives/servers that
are encrypted, if/when required. Nothing's on / that I care about
anyway, so why take the performance hit?

-- encrypted swap does provide some protection against buffer overflow
attacks that don't, necessarily, need to gain root (if they do, i'm
hosed anyway), and dumping encrypted data in swap.