Re: [Xen-users] Solaris dom0, prebuilt domU?

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 1:01 AM, Michael Jinks <mjinks@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The Xen configs I'm used to look like old-school Unix config files, with
> "key = value" pairs.  The configs I'm seeing for domU's on OpenSolaris
> are XML, with similar but not quite isomorphic <tag>value</tag>
> constructions, and docs telling me not to edit them by hand.
>
> Maybe xVM can understand "old style"(?) Xen config files, but if so I

Yes, it does.

> can't find where they're stored, nor any examples to work from; the

Anywhere you want, actually :D
I created /etc/xen manually, and store it there. Here's an example of
/etc/xen/rhel5

=====================
memory = "500"
disk = [
'phy:/dev/zvol/dsk/rpool/xen/rhel5root,hda1,w','phy:/dev/zvol/dsk/rpool/xen/rhel5swap,hda2,w'
]
vif = [ 'mac=00:16:3E:F0:3D:6C, bridge=bnx0', ]
bootloader="/usr/lib/xen/bin/pygrub"
vcpus=1
cpus="^0"
on_xend_start="start"
=====================

If you prefer to work with .img instead of zvol, simply change all
phy:/dev/zvol/dsk/... to file:// ....img

The downside of this approach is that you cannot autostart domU.
To be exact, whether it's xml based or old-style, xvm's auotstart
script doesn't read /etc/xen/auto like it does on RHEL. Instead, it
autostarts domUs that have been registered to xend with "xm new" (or
created with virt-install) that have these values (when you run "xm
list -l")

    (on_xend_start start)
    (on_xend_stop shutdown)

Or (in the case of config above) have on_xend_start="start"

If you want to autostart domU using the config above, what you need to do is :
- cd /etc/xen
- xm new rhel5
- xm start rhel5

> but that still
> doesn't get the .img file transferred into a ZFS volume.

There's a package that allows you to mount ext2/3 on solaris
http://www.genunix.org/distributions/belenix_site/binfiles/README.FSWfsmisc.txt

I haven't tried it though. What I prefer to do is :
- turn on iscsi share on zfs and import the iscsi volume on linux, OR
- have a "standard" domU linux ready on the same solaris dom0, and
attach the block device there using xm block-attach and detach it
later using block-detach

PS : When creating zvols, BEWARE of
http://marc.info/?l=opensolaris-bugs&m=122149483527748&w=2
For example, It means using two zvol named "rhel5" and "rhel5swap"
will NOT work, but using "rhel5root" and "rhel5swap" works.