Re: [Xen-users] Solaris dom0, prebuilt domU?

To: Mike Kazantsev <mk.fraggod@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Solaris dom0, prebuilt domU?
From: Michael Jinks <mjinks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 00:27:58 -0600
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 22:28:40 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 10:40:21AM +0500, Mike Kazantsev wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Jan 2009 22:41:12 -0600
> Michael Jinks <mjinks@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Following the directions at opensolaris.org, it looks like virt-install
> > really wants to run a classic "install CD" with a domU-aware kernel,
> > but I don't have such a thing since our Linux of choice is Gentoo.  (I
> > could patch a Gentoo-minimal CD with a new kernel, but I haven't quite
> > figured out the mechanics of that yet.)
>
> You can get images with domU kernels from places like jailtime.org.

Thanks, I'm aware of jailtime, and one of their images would be just
fine.  The trouble I'm having isn't coming up with a domU image, it's
getting the Solaris virt-install utility to use it.  I figure there's
something I'm just not picking up on in the man page, but here's an
example of what I've tried so far:

  $ sudo virt-install --nographics --name foo --paravirt --ram 1011 --file
/dev/zvol/dsk/mtank/foo --location /export/home/mjinks/gentoo.2008-0.img

(The .img file is a downloaded 32-bit Gentoo domU from jailtime.org.)

virt-install prompts me for the size of the disk image to create, since
"foo" doesn't exist yet, then:

  Starting install...
  hsfs mount: /export/home/mjinks/gentoo.2008-0.img is not an hsfs file
  system.
  umount: warning: /var/tmp/virtinstmnt.7bQr8T not in mnttab
  umount: /var/tmp/virtinstmnt.7bQr8T not mounted
  Invalid install location: Mounting location
  /export/home/mjinks/gentoo.2008-0.img failed
  Domain installation may not have been
   successful.  If it was, you can restart your domain
   by running 'virsh start foo'; otherwise, please
   restart your installation.
  Sat, 10 Jan 2009 00:12:14 ERROR    Invalid install location: Mounting
  location /export/home/mjinks/gentoo.2008-0.img failed
  Traceback (most recent call last):
  <snip traceback output>

That's why I got the impression that virt-install really wants to boot
the system from an ISO disk image.  If there's a way to point it at a
non-ISO disk image to boot from, I'm not finding it in the manpage.