Re: [Xen-users] migrate file-based vm to lvm?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] migrate file-based vm to lvm?
From: Kai Schaetzl <maillists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 17:55:51 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 08:56:34 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
S0nspark wrote on Wed, 7 Jan 2009 06:48:01 -0800 (PST):

> Is there a way to mount a vm image file like I would using a iso image and a
> loopback device?

You can do that, has been mentioned quite a few times on this list, it's a two
or three-step process and I think I didn't ever make it work. I found it
easier to just rsync the running VM to the new location and adjust some files
(grub.conf and fstab, maybe a few others). rsync with --numeric-ids option so
that the original owner/group gets preserved. It's pretty straight forward and
fast. For swap I add a swap file created with dd. Do it once and then copy
them.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany