Re: [Xen-users] Newbie Xen + LVM issues for Debian DomU on Centos 5.2 Do

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Newbie Xen + LVM issues for Debian DomU on Centos 5.2 DomO
From: M C <m_c_001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 08:35:08 +0000
Delivery-date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 00:35:51 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for replying. So, I added the following line to my config file:

ramdisk = "/boot/initrd-2.6.18-92.1.22.el5xen.img"

and things do indeed go further, but still ultimately fail. The final error report now has:

<lots of stuff deleted>
Mounting proc filesystem
Mounting sysfs filesystem
Creating /dev
Creating initial device nodes
Setting up hotplug.
Creating block device nodes.
USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver v3.0
SCSI subsystem initialized
device-mapper: uevent: version 1.0.3
device-mapper: ioctl: 4.11.5-ioctl (2007-12-12) initialised: dm-devel@xxxxxxxxxx
Waiting for driver initialization.
Scanning and configuring dmraid supported devices
Scanning logical volumes
  Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
  No volume groups found
Activating logical volumes
  Volume group "VolGroup00" not found
Creating root device.
Mounting root filesystem.
mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'
Setting up other filesystems.
Setting up new root fs
setuproot: moving /dev failed: No such file or directory
no fstab.sys, mounting internal defaults
setuproot: error mounting /proc: No such file or directory
setuproot: error mounting /sys: No such file or directory

Any hints of how I can extricate myself from this mess would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

> Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Newbie Xen + LVM issues for Debian DomU on Centos 5.2 DomO
> From: lists@xxxxxxxxx
> To: m_c_001@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 12:20:57 +0100
> CC: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Am Dienstag, den 23.12.2008, 10:54 +0000 schrieb M C:
> > Hi,
>
> Hi M C,
>

> > I'm trying to install a Debian 4.0 DomU on a Centos 5.2 DomO but I'm
> > having problems. Using the Debian image from jailtime.org with the
> > following config file:
> >
> > kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-92.1.22.el5xen"
>
> initrd/ramdisk-line is missing here!
>

> > memory = 1024
> > name = "debian.4-0.64"
> > vif = [ '' ]
> > disk = ['file:/srv/xen/debian.4-0.64.img,sdb1,w',]
> > vcpus=1
> >

> > root = "/dev/sdb1 ro"
> >
> > I end up with the following errors on trying to start up the image:
> >
> > attempt to access beyond end of device
> > ram0: rw=0, want=18446744056529682440, limit=32768
> > isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=ram0, iso_blknum=17,
> > block=-2147483648
> > No filesystem could mount root, tried: ext2 iso9660
> > Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> > unknown-block(1,0)
>
> i would guess that the needed modules are in initrd, which is not
> defined above.
>

> > Here's what's set up on the host machine:
> >
> > root% df -h
> > Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> > /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
> > 143G 22G 114G 17% /
> > /dev/sdb1 99M 36M 59M 38% /boot
> > tmpfs 1.2G 0 1.2G 0% /dev/shm
> >
> > I should say that I have a guest Centos DomU running just fine on this
> > DomO, but it's the Debian image that's giving me fun and games. This
> > is the (autogenerated) config file that works for the Centos DomU:
> >
> > name = "vmserver"
> > memory = "1024"
> > disk = [ 'tap:aio:/srv/xen/vmserver.img,xvda,w', ]
> > vif = [ 'bridge=xenbr0', ]
> > bootloader="/usr/bin/pygrub"
> > vcpus=1
> >

> > Any clues on how I can get the Debian image to work would be much
> > appreciated!
>
> Wether say ramdisk= or use pygrub.
>
> BTW: I am using xen-tools for setting up debian-based-guest-systems,
> which runs very fine - also on centos5.

> hth,
>
> Thomas

Read amazing stories to your kids on Messenger. Try it Now!

Take your friends with you with Mobile Messenger. Click Here!