Re: [Xen-devel] GPLPV drivers 0.9.12-pre9 upload

To: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] GPLPV drivers 0.9.12-pre9 upload
From: "Andrew Lyon" <andrew.lyon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 11:27:17 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 03:27:48 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=gPjxFsy8k6kNj3pI6pEGwlgFrhPIfMQI1oiDKJjy1LY=; b=fmXK3eOQV/DtKzq+9T6wl2+myuDM8+roO2XqhalM7ueQNVUCBI0qPYMKgZwZHiilGP Vl77fiPbRsohdx0Svdr3sseS8efavMoY50CG23oQ1Wq9Bc/IUmfnx87U35aQka+ufePw y7z6dH67j2QJ/fKIYY/NI2QiUN0KiTMdfH0Ms=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 5:35 AM, James Harper
<james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > 3. If you are using the latest Xen 3.3.1 hg (maybe 3.3.0 too?), the
>> > qemu_disable_patches.diff patch applied to the ioemu-remote git repo
>> > (after 'make tools' has downloaded it, or after you've updated it to
> the
>> > latest) will completely remove the ide disks and network interfaces,
>> > leaving the cdroms as emulated by qemu. This is how things should be
>> > going forward - qemu cdrom's means you get eject and virtual image
> swap
>> > etc, and performance on a cdrom is hardly critical. Hopefully these
>> > patches will make it into Xen 3.4.
>>
>> I posted this earlier in the wrong thread, I tried to use the
>> qemu_disable_patches.diff today with 3.3.1 rc4 but it didn't hide the
>> devices or change cdrom to emulated when using the pre11 drivers, this
>> is what I did:
>>
>> hg clone -r 3.3.1-rc4 http://xenbits.xensource.com/xen-3.3-testing.hg
>> cd xen-3.3-testing.hg
>> make tools # I believe this is necessary to pull ioemu-remote ?
>> cd tools/ioemu-remote
>> patch -p1 -i /usr/src/qemu-pci-disable.patch # I removed the last
>> chunk of the patch which changes vl.c as the changes are in 3.3.1-rc4.
>> make clean
>> cd ../../
>> make clean
>> make tools
>> make install-tools
>> /etc/init.d/xend restart
>>
>> I did not recompile xen, only the tools.
>>
>> In my vista hvm the Intel IDE and Realtek NIC are still visible, and
>> cdrom is XEN PV not ioemu/qemu.
>>
>> Is my method incorrect?
>>

> It looks to be. Can you confirm that the qemu-dm installed by 'make
> install-tools' is definitely the one being used by your domain?

The method I used does not work, it appears that after patching and
recompiling the binary does not get updated, it is the same as the one
produced by the first "make tools".

Instead I started from scratch and immediately after "make tools"
downloaded ioemu-remote git I paused the process, applied the patch,
and then resumed, this time the binary is different, and in my vista
vm the devices have changed, but they are still not correct, both are
now emulated:

QEMU HARDDISK ATA Device
QEMU QEMU DVD-ROM ATA Device
Realtek RTL8139C