Re: [Xen-users] How to move from pygrub to pv-grub?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] How to move from pygrub to pv-grub?
From: "Todd Deshane" <deshantm@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 18:50:29 -0500
Delivery-date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 15:51:06 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:reply-to :to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=UYZDxpMO1DtVMqnas5fqPKsvkce8eWiF6mDnAhen7es=; b=XEnjnMRgxMV5aVMfase7vpn8OKD5VK/TnMzUIILCOMysON48kW3b3RTZltn7kmbPxW viM7CwycXGInthuvHMpLepse555X8dIpGi/cu0uUf6IeLZ91PX/Of7B4r/5KYktb1Wyg QvvBaj+JCOJV/c2s9Vhx6YCzpp6I5gnwCahVk=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 6:35 PM, Kai Schaetzl <maillists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Todd Deshane wrote on Sun, 21 Dec 2008 17:40:31 -0500:
>
>> For some reason that thread is broken on the xensource server:
>> (a good place to check is xen.markmail.org)
>>
>> This might be the key bit of info you are missing:
>> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2008-08/msg01083.html
>
> Thanks for the pointer, but I definitely read each single message that's
> shown on that starter page, including the two "subthreads". And I read
> this specific one, yes. The point is that I started by adding kernel, then
> extra, then root. Eacht time with the same effect of grubdom. So, removing
> root wouldn't make a difference. As I see you were able to get the system
> booting by giving it the correct parameters. But that's impossible here as
> it complains about the partition table. So, this must be something very
> different.
> What partition table does it mean? This is not an xvda-encapsulated drive,
> this is a normal ext3 formatted LVM partition. There's no MBR and no
> partition table on it. What partition table where does pv-grub expect?

I would image that it works very much the same (with some limitations
pointed out by Samuel in that thread and others) as GRUB.

Can you test on a disk or disk image just to see if you can get a working
case (not on a partition)?

I think you would need some sort of MBR or similar, but I don't know
nor recall the details. Xen-devel/Samuel may be able to give you
better answers if you don't get answers on xen-users.

>> There may also be some patches that you need that happened after
>> the 3.3 release, but one step at a time I guess.
>
> Don't make me cry ;-) I really don't want to build my own Xen stuff. If
> that's what is needed to get pv-grub going I just stick with pygrub as it
> is working perfectly :-) However, I would assume that pv-grub in a major
> release like 3.3 won't have such a big bug that it doesn't work at all.

I don't remember if there is a fatal issue or not. 3.3.1 is due out around
the end of the month too.

Cheers,
Todd

--