[Xen-users] how to limit network bandwidth dynamically

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] how to limit network bandwidth dynamically
From: Jordi Moles Blanco <jordi@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 18:39:02 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 09:40:20 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
hi,

I'm sorry because this has been asked before, but none of the possible solutions I've found has worked for me.

The thing is that the "rate" parameter i can set in the configuration file, in the "vif" line... well it works great, but it can't be changed unless you reboot the machine.

This is not the ideal scenario for me. So... i've googled a lot and found that many people use "tc" together with "iptables" to limit, for example, vif3.0 to 1Mbps.

The problem, though, is that none of the solutions proposed work for me. I works in my linux local machine, but not in a domU. I can download/upload things at fullspeed after applying this solutions. I give user full control of the domU, so it's not an option to install tc and iptables in the very same domU, it has to be done through dom0.

Has anyone achieved to limit network bandwidth per domU?from dom0? Could you post some working example i could follow?

Thanks for your help and, thanks developers for your work, the "rate" parameter works great. Only, it's not exactly what i need.