[Xen-users] RE: [ofa-general] Infiniband performance

To: "Jan Ruffing" <ruffing@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] RE: [ofa-general] Infiniband performance
From: "Robert Dunkley" <Robert@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 08:23:14 -0000
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 00:27:07 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Jan,

I asked almost the exact same question as you about 6 months ago and someone
provided some Gen4 results for me (But I can't seem to find them in email),
they were a fair bit better than Gen3.

With IPOIB, you want connected mode and a large 32Kb+ MTU for max bandwidth,
1Gbyte/sec or more should be possible with Gen 4.

Here are some of my original test results on my Opteron System with Gen3 cards:

#qperf 192.168.10.160 tcp_bw tcp_lat
 tcp_bw:
     bw  =  866 MB/sec
 tcp_lat:
     latency  =  30.8 us

# qperf 192.168.10.160 rc_bi_bw
rc_bi_bw:
    bw  =  1.71 GB/sec

The second result is bi directional, Gen4 on PCI-E V2 should get quite a lot
better.

Rob