RE: [Xen-users] Xen virtual interface settings

Am Donnerstag, den 11.12.2008, 12:38 -0800 schrieb Gary W. Smith:
> Grant,
>
> I tried something similar some time ago to no avail.  What I ended up
> doing is setting the IP in the script that I used to build the image
> on the fly (i.e. mount the image, add
> custom /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 -- in RH based).
>
> Altertavitvely you could leave it on DHCP and set all of the mac
> addresses and then create a DHCP pool that is only allocated to
> those MAC addresses.
>
> In short, IP in config for me has never succeeded but fixed MAC's
> have.
but a combination works too, e.g.

vif         = [ 'mac=00:16:3E:5A:A4:A5, ip=192.168.100.1' ]

The Problem if you do _not_ set a mac-adress in domu-config, the
mac-adress for this domu changes on each startup.

> Gary

and to these topic:
.... All of the students VMs will be copies (or using qcow2 backing
file) of  a base image so will be identical to save space and setup
time.

Create your "Master-Image" as LVM-Volume and give those domus a snapshot
from this volume. Since lvm supports copy-on-write this is really cool,
e-g- for a web-server-cluster or anything where a "golden-image" and the
guests have only minor changes... .

Just my 2cents

Thomas