[Xen-users] HVM domU Windows gets blocked for extended time

To: xen-users list <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] HVM domU Windows gets blocked for extended time
From: Ken Cobler <kcobler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 09:20:42 -0600
Delivery-date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 07:21:18 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
OpenSuse 10.3 dom0 running Xen 3.0. Have Windows XP and Windows 2003 domU guests.

Sporadically, the Windows guest is blocked (no mouse movement, keyboard response) sometimes for 30-45 seconds. Then, the domU comes alive and catches up with keystrokes that were in the buffer.

The client workstations are thinstation (linux based terminals that run rdesktop to Windows 2003).

Since the server is a 8G RAM, Quad-core Intel, I tried pinning dom0 to CPU0, domU Windows 2003 to CPU1 and CPU2, and domU Windows XP to CPU3. No real change in outcome.

I have also tried using the sched-credit adjustments for weight on the domU guests.

Currently, these guests are using the qemu driver for hard drive.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this problem? Would going to the SEDF scheduler be more appropriate? Could this be a network issue ?

Xen has worked great for this environment except for the sporadic blocking.

Ken Cobler