Re: [Xen-users] Setting CPU (core) frequency from dom0

To: "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Setting CPU (core) frequency from dom0
From: Alberto Munoz <amunoz0221@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 16:23:29 -0800
Cc: "Liu, Jinsong" <jinsong.liu@xxxxxxxxx>, "bmunoz@xxxxxxx" <bmunoz@xxxxxxx>, "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 16:24:41 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I did some additional poking around and figure out that the failure I am experiencing (no sysfs interface for cpufreq) is because the call to powernow_k8_cpu_init_acpi() in powernowk8_cpu_init() is failing (returning a value != 0) and I have more than 1 CPU. When I enabled debugging, the system printed the following error:

powernow-k8: Found 32 Quad-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 8356 processors (version 2.20.00)
cpufreq-core: trying to register driver powernow-k8
cpufreq-core: adding CPU 0
powernow-k8: Your BIOS does not provide _PSS objects.  PowerNow! does not work on SMP systems without _PSS objects.  Complain to your BIOS vendor.
cpufreq-core: initialization failed
cpufreq-core: adding CPU 1
powernow-k8: Your BIOS does not provide _PSS objects.  PowerNow! does not work on SMP systems without _PSS objects.  Complain to your BIOS vendor.
cpufreq-core: initialization failed
                .
                .
                .

And continues to print this for all 32 cores. After this it prints the following message:

cpufreq-core: initialization failed
cpufreq-core: no CPU initialized for driver powernow-k8
cpufreq-core: unregistering CPU 0
cpufreq-core: unregistering CPU 1
                 .
                 .
                 .
cpufreq-core: unregistering CPU 31

The code gets a bit cryptic, but it seems to me that the failure may be due to the code not properly recognizing my Barcelona processors.check_supported_cpu() is probably failing to set cpu_family to CPU_HW_PSTATE, although I have not yet confirmed that this is the case.

Have you seen this type of problem recently?

Thank you,

Alberto