RE: [Xen-users] Windows NT HVM fail to install

To: "Claudemir Todo Bom" <devel@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Windows NT HVM fail to install
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 23:06:09 +1100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 04:06:58 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> I do not know anything about cpuid setting, google searchs returned
some
> patches to xen, but none of them with something that I can learn how
> use.

What version of Xen are you using? I'm not sure if the CPUID override
stuff is supported in anything less than 3.3, but from the example hvm
config, this is the entry you might try:

# Downgrade the cpuid to make a better compatibility for migration :
# Look like a generic 686 :
# cpuid = [ '0:eax=0x3,ebx=0x0,ecx=0x0,edx=0x0',
#           '1:eax=0x06b1,
#              ecx=xxxxxxxxxx0000xx00xxx0000000xx0,
#              edx=xx00000xxxxxxx0xxxxxxxxx0xxxxxx',
#           '4:eax=0x3,ebx=0x0,ecx=0x0,edx=0x0',
#  '0x80000000:eax=0x3,ebx=0x0,ecx=0x0,edx=0x0']
#  with the highest leaf
#  - CPUID.0[EAX] : Set the highest leaf
#  - CPUID.1[EAX] : 686
#  - CPUID.1[ECX] : Mask some features
#  - CPUID.1[EDX] : Mask some features
#  - CPUID.4 : Reply like the highest leaf, in our case CPUID.3
#  - CPUID.0x80000000 : No extension we are on a Pentium III, reply like
the
#  highest leaf (CPUID.3).

Just uncomment the 6 lines starting at 'cpuid ='. I'm not sure from the
above example if HT is reported as enabled, but if so you should be able
to find some tech reference that will tell you which bit corresponds to
HT and just force it to 0.

There is also a cpuid_check option available, but I think that is just
to make sure that certain cpuid features are available before starting
or migrating to a host.

If you aren't running 3.3 then the above may not work...

James