[Xen-users] Re: Update the kernel?

To: Thomas Goirand <thomas@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: Update the kernel?
From: Ferenc Wagner <wferi@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 13:02:19 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 04:03:12 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thomas Goirand <thomas@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Tim Post wrote:
>
>> Some are still trying to keep a fairly new kernel for dom-0 available,
>> such as OpenSUSE and Debian unstable who are both at 2.6.26.
>
> In fact, the Xen kernel maintainers in Debian are using the kernel
> 2.6.26 patch from SUSE, with a bit more or patching. Unfortunately, on
> 64 bits platforms, if the dom0 starts to swap, that dom0 kernel crashes.

This particular bug is assumed to be fixed, though I never tested it.
On the other hand I gave up on the i686 kernel, because it proved
unstable.

> So I don't think this is a very mature work, at least in Debian.

I have to agree.

>> I have no idea when the merge with mainline is going to happen, most of
>> us are just keeping our fingers crossed for 'soon' :)
>
> That's really the big issue here. Nobody can see what's going to happen,
> and the Xen dev team is NOT shipping a patch for something higher than
> kernel 2.6.18.8 like 2.6.27 or the like. I really don't understand why
> they don't spend efforts on doing so...

There are published patches for 2.6.28, which make it possible to boot
it in dom0 and create (as yet unusable) domUs.  Devs hope something
like that will be merged into 2.6.29.  So it doesn't sound that far...
--
Regards,
Feri.