Re: [Xen-users] Connect to Xen console

To: mike.brady@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Xen Users" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Connect to Xen console
From: Guillaume <guillaume.chardin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 22:16:01 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 13:17:11 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=E9xo0JqJ5Q1pbCX4NeF+a6KHW/ytWofc/4BFu2WfxSY=; b=i/7H09AifCe8/9r051XBJYXu8Z8ZA67y/Pqp+6oc2q3Z7yjAp6M9CRdIl8ETRjfrg2 SQ9DdpDVvwkEg5Ggrl2zpT1icaxDv9E9ae/8h1eeVkaOzLtvEaiywzVpMZz8F7k4wmgF jRsWWVJnJG78hwXzL6J3tDAg9OG8RU7ds4NrQ=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2008/11/14 Mike Brady <mike.brady@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> On Fri, 2008-11-14 at 10:05 +0100, Guillaume wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> I'm new on this list and i need help from experienced users to give
>> andswer for some questions.
>>
>> I sen up a dom0 (debian) and would like it to be very minimalist, just
>> xen tools, some gnu utils and other usefull utilities. This dom0 will
>> be used to virtualize many hvm OS like windows and some other *nix
>> paravirtualized. Till there are no problem to view/connect to console
>> of paravirt OSes, I have some problem  to view console of hvm guests.
>> I was able to connect only to these guest with vnc. If I use `xm
>> console <domID>`it's only diplay "connected to <domID> console" (or
>> something like that), but no "graphics".
>>
>> I don't know if it's possible, but is there a way to display the guest
>> console, directly on dom0 console by using `xm console <domID>`
>> WITHOUT installing X on dom0.
> Short answer - No.  But you do not need to install X on Dom0 to use the
> built in Xen vnc server to connect to DomU consoles remotely.
Thanks,

But my idea is first to implement xen on server, so, accessing remotely is not
really a problem for installation & maintenance. But in a second time i would
like to replace some user's computer they have two computer, one
windows,one linux
fedora, with screen switcher. Idea was to merge the both in one
computer with xen but
if they cannot access their own 2 console its useless for this usage.
Maybe xen is
not the right product.

Thanks a lot.
--