Re: [Xen-users] NTP on fully virtualized domUs

To: James Treleaven <J.Treleaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] NTP on fully virtualized domUs
From: Peter Mueller <peter.mueller@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 10:48:23 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 01:49:46 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi James,
first you have to run ntpd in Dom0 and let him sync to some
timeservers on the web. This ntpd can sync the hardware clock, which
your DomUs are not allowed to do. They have to sync with your Dom0. It
shouldn't be necessary to install another ntpd in your DomUs. If it's
not getting better, install ntpd in your DomUs and let him sync to
your Dom0.

Kind Regards
Peter Mueller

James Treleaven schrieb:
> I've been having trouble keeping my time correct on some fully
> virtualized Xen domUs (CentOS 5.2 x86_64), so I looked through the
> archives and saw this posting about "independent_wallclock":
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.xen.user/647
>
> And this one about fighting among Doms to control the time:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.xen.user/537/focus=665
>

> I can't find any "/proc/sys/xen/independent_wallclock" on any of my
> domUs so I imagine the comments about fighting for control of the time
> does not apply to me, because it is only applicable to paravirtualized
> doms.
>
> In my case, I should just be able to run ntpd on my domUs and ntpd
> should maintain the correct time on each domU, correct?
>
> Thanks,
> James

- --

Mit freundlichen Grüßen