[Xen-users] xend.err: "kernel image does not exist"

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] xend.err: "kernel image does not exist"
From: "AswiniKumar K" <kaswinikumar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 17:48:23 +0530
Delivery-date: Sat, 01 Nov 2008 05:19:05 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:mime-version:content-type; bh=ekePghwKPjkkHjUoQPTZm7cPR/HTAVaioXbj7Z1rDbY=; b=rSi4x6mWg4QWtp0uy024FBr4kg6yFvaJYolHoVvXqU1/2W6DPZ1TW9SYdfdbltREFV 5f0hgsLeE8EE3efbLvpzsg5P5uOwapONy2fDJL2WnQCJZzL893d4aPJiCWU+B26hwGIs XJEXa89gxMIruwIwdXn+nXwIVA02Yw6Z87kW8=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,
I'm new to Xen, and am facing issues in the following scenario:
(1)  Create a paravirtualized domU (installing from SLES10SP2 dvd) using virt-manager.
(2)  Make a copy (using either "cp" or "dd") of the disk image file used by this domU and rename it.
(3)  Mount the root partition of this disk image (identified using "kpartx"), change the network related info etc, and unmount it.
(4)  Using this new copy of the disk image file in a new xen configuration file, create a new domU clone with a different name using "xm create".

This did succeed and I was able to see the new domUclone up and running.  However, after a few reboots, it threw up the following error message:
xend.err: "kernel image does not exist"
and never proceeded from there.  From that moment on, the GUI-created domU also threw the same error if I restarted it, and also, I was not able to create a new domU using virt-manager again [at the end of installation, when this newly created domU was started by virt-manager, it threw the same error].

One more point to note is that, when I deleted all the existing domains (except the dom0) and recreated a domU using virt-manager, it worked fine...and I could clone it too as above and everything worked fine.  I don't know if it again throws up the same scenario, since I stopped here right now.

Can anyone help me understand what could have gone wrong, especially when the same domU VMs were working fine for sometime?
And how to handle that situation?

Thanks in advance.

-AswiniKumar.