Re: [Xen-users] 3ware 9650 support for Xen

Grant McWilliams wrote:
In Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 8:26 AM, Steven Timm <timm@xxxxxxxx <mailto:timm@xxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    For what it's worth, I'm running the stock kernel-xen out of
    rhel 5.2/centos 5.2/sci. linux 5.2 and it is recognizing the 3ware
    9650
    card just fine.  Red hat 5 claims to be a 2.6.18 kernel but they have
    back-ported a lot of stuff into it.  Before i did that, and I was
    using the 2.6.18 kernel out of the xen tarballs from xen.org
    <http://xen.org>, I couldn't see the 3ware either.

    Steve Timm

Yes, the CentOS 5.2 kernel does have drivers for the 9650. There's always the choice of compiling the drivers from 3wares site too.

Grant McWilliams

Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use Windows."
Now they have two problems.
I have found that you can install CentOS 5.2 with the latest drivers from 3ware with out a problem, using a kickstart script, and the 'driverdisk' option. If you intend to upgrade the Kernel afterwards, you simply need to copy the 3w-9xxx.ko file from the old kernel's /lib/modules/`uname -r`/ directory and adding it to the new kernel's. Then rebuild your initrd with mkinitrd to include the 3w-9xxx.ko module. For the last year or so I've been working a lot with new customer servers wanting to run xen and 3ware on different raid cards. It comes down to a matching game. Which kernel are you running, and which 3ware driver from their website matches the one you're using (or want to use.)

You'll probably want to review their table here for a list of Kernels with built-in compatibility, and Kernel modules you can download for "officially unsupported" kernels.
http://3ware.com/KB/article.aspx?id=14546

-Kai Meyer