[Xen-users] NAT with static ip configuration doesn't work

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] NAT with static ip configuration doesn't work
From: Zhi Wang <zwangf@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 13:35:33 -0700 (PDT)
Delivery-date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 13:36:16 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi, All
I have a very basic configuration as this:
Dom0 is based on Fedora core 9. Xen 3.3.0 built from source code. Dom0 is a
standard build of 2.6.18.8-xen.
I have only one physical NIC connected to the Internet. The DomU is a ubuntu
server 8.04 HVM. I did the
following steps to setup NAT network for my domU.
1. change /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp to use NAT:
          (network-script network-nat)
          (vif-script    vif-nat)

2. the configuration file for domU is as
          vif = [ 'mac=00:16:xx:xx:xx:xx, ip=10.0.0.1']

When I create the domU, the scripts will bring up two extra interfaces: vif3.0
and tap3.0.
That is, now I have four interface: eth0, lo, vif3.0 and tap3.0. Eth0 is
connecting to the Internet.
Everything looks ok, but I can't ping the domU from dom0. Neither can I ping
the dom0
form domU.

>From a quick tcpdump, it seems that the virtual NIC in domU is actually
>connected to
Tap3.0. Nothing shows up in vif3.0. If I bring down vif3.0 and configure the
tap3.0 with
the router address, everything works just fine.

I am just wondering if I have done anything wrong. Supposedly the official
release of XEN
should be able to work under such a simple configuration. Thanks

Best regards,
Zhi