Re: [Xen-users] xend, xenstored, xenconsoled restart

To: Ferenc Wagner <wferi@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] xend, xenstored, xenconsoled restart
From: Tim Post <echo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 15:52:54 +0800
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 00:53:45 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sorry for top posting, this comment in xenstore/xenstored_core.c is
relevant:

/* XXX When we make xenstored able to restart, this will have
   to become cleverer, checking for existing domains and not
   removing the corresponding entries, but for now xenstored
   cannot be restarted without losing all the registered
   watches, which breaks all the backend drivers anyway.  We
   can therefore get away with just clearing /local and
   expecting Xend to put the appropriate entries back in.

   When this change is made it is important to note that
   dom0's entries must be cleaned up on reboot _before_ this
   daemon starts, otherwise the backend drivers and dom0's
   balloon driver will pick up stale entries.  In the case of
   the balloon driver, this can be fatal.
*/

So, at least (for a while), the store is transient. I dug that up after
double checking what --preserve-local did. In all reality, you'll lose
xend prior to losing xenstored.

Sorry for not double checking before replying :)

Cheers,
--Tim