Re: [Xen-users] debian, black screen when booting xen hypervisor higher

To: Martin Kraus <lists_mk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] debian, black screen when booting xen hypervisor higher than 3.0.3
From: Luke S Crawford <lsc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 21 Oct 2008 20:52:58 -0400
Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 17:52:50 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Martin Kraus <lists_mk@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> the last thing that works it the grub menu. when I select the xen hypervisor
> option, grub prints that it boots the selected menu, and the screen becomes
> black with cursor blinking in the upper left corner. the machine freezes and
> it takes a hard reset to get it to boot again.

The only time I've seen this is when I screwed up the console config
(like the Xen kernel thinks it should be using serial rather than vga or
vis-a-vis)

Look at the console (or on the kernel line, com1=) options in the grub
config and compare them to the one that works.    If the grub config
is about the same, I would hook up a null modem and see if I could boot it
off the serial console (which is my preference anyhow)

You could try forcing it to use a serial console (my preference anyhow)

here's what my grub snippit looks like:

title CentOS (2.6.18-53.1.21.el5xen)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /boot/xen.gz-2.6.18-53.1.21.el5 dom0_mem=512M com1=115200,8n1
        module /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-53.1.21.el5xen selinux=0 ro root=/dev/md0
console=ttyS0,115200n8
        module /boot/initrd-2.6.18-53.1.21.el5xen.img

Of course, that might not be it.   The grub config is still the first place
I'd look-  I'd make sure to remove any splash screens or 'quiet' options.