Re: [Xen-users] PCI Passthrough for Windows error

To: "billy lau" <billylau@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] PCI Passthrough for Windows error
From: "Todd Deshane" <deshantm@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 20:27:41 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 17:28:24 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:reply-to :to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=pwLWPIoQIcmLzX8dp/yJtfkQKujjUpPDnfays8HYyIQ=; b=t8BeSGIlooJRXuRzDeBF4LgRMwKdWt42vimQJBNKZ+wnLWh1J6jK3u9xRAaT567QUb D/bMNaFm2wY38eFRdKlWoqLoLB7YCt5Qx5H7wLoWvRFxPJ2Rerm5uqIgkDn8y4Pep2Ky 57oozVT+w4r1aToBDdx+bKhiQi09GG6BXlK20=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 2:39 PM, billy lau <billylau@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear Xen Users,
>
> I was attempting to boot windows using hvmloader on a debian, with Vt-d
> enabled. However, as I try to create my windows domain, the error below
> occured, and I could not understand why:
>
> Error: failed to assign device: maybe the platform doesn't support VT-d, or
> VT-d isn't enabled properly?
>
> The problem is that I have enabled VT-d, and I did a pciback.hide=(XX:XX.X)
> in grub's menu.lst. Well, The passthrough seems to be working when I load a
> linux domU, as i managed to see the pci device in lspci in linux domU, but
> for windows, only this error message appeared. Can anyone help?

Can you attach the output of:

lspci -tv
lspci -xxx -vvv
xm pci-list-assignable-devices
ls /sys/bus/pci/drivers/pciback*
grep hide /boot/grub/menu.lst
Your xen command line

Is the Linux guest that work PV or HVM?

Are you sure that iommu support is enabled?
One way to check is in the output of xm dmesg
It should say enable or disabled for iommu.
(Just want to double check that case)

check the patch on this message:
http://xen.markmail.org/search/?q=disable%20flr#query:disable%20flr+page:1+mid:7dbm675e4x4dawec+state:results

It might be applicable, hard to say without more info.

Hope that helps and/or sheds some light on possible problems.

Cheers,
Todd

--
Todd Deshane