Re: [Xen-users] How can I monitor each domU's bandwidth?

To: "Rudi Ahlers" <rudiahlers@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] How can I monitor each domU's bandwidth?
From: Luke S Crawford <lsc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 17 Oct 2008 16:24:55 -0400
Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 13:25:11 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Rudi Ahlers" <rudiahlers@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> I desperately need some help with this. We provide XEN VPS's to our
> clients in a hosting environment, and I need to measure the bandwidth
> usage per VPS, since we charge per MB / per GB for bandwidth.

Me too.

> Someone suggested Cacti, and it works well, but every now and then it
> stops monitoring each VPS's bandwidth (for no apparent reason), and
> then I need to recreate the VPS's interface in Cacti - but this often
> means that we've lost a few days (and close to a few GB's) traffic.

I had the same problem.

There is a setting in cacti... you want a 're-index method' that will reindex
the vifnames every reboot.  Essentially, every time you destroy/create
the DomU, the interface is recreated.  Of course, you are setting the
vifnames so that the names don't change, but the numeric SNMP IDs do,
so you need to tell cacti to reindex the mapping from names to numeric
ids often (or when domains are created or destroyed)