RE: [Xen-users] Vista Ultimate 32-bit install - VNC woes

To: "Danilo Godec" <danilo.godec@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Vista Ultimate 32-bit install - VNC woes
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 20:15:43 +1100
Delivery-date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 02:16:26 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Hi,
>
> I'm running Xen server based on OpenSuSE 11 (Xen version
> 3.2.1_16881_04-4.2). I have several Linux DomU's that run perfect.
>
> Now I need a temporary Vista install (for testing) so I used
> 'virt-manager' to install Vista. I used LVM based setup, Vista got 4GB
> of memory (at least temporary) and 2 CPU's.
>
> Initially things look good - I get the console window, Vista starts up
> and I get to choose the language & keyboard layout. It then completes
> copying files and starts ', the VNC connection is suddenly lost and I
> can't get it back.

First try running Vista with 2G of memory instead of 4G, and with a
single CPU.

I had problems under Xen 3.2.1 with Windows 2008 which has a lot in
common with Vista. Something to do with emulation of a certain
instruction when the instruction occurs at a page boundary. If you trawl
the list archives for my email address and 'Windows 2008' you might find
a reference the changeset that fixed it for me. The 'xm dmesg' errors I
was getting were quite different to what you are getting though so I
suspect that that may not be your problem, and in my case Windows 2008
would install after a few attempts but would always crash within a few
minutes of use.

James