Re: [Xen-users] Pasting into virtual console?

Dustin Henning wrote:
        RealVNC provides this functionality via a service in Windows.  The
same may not be true of Linux.  However, what about logging in via X over
SSH (I don't know how to do this, but I've seen it done)?  Too resource
intensive?

There are at least three different ways. Four different ways. Ahem. There are /several/ different ways to run X applications on a remote Linux box.

The simplest is to simply log in using ssh and run the application you want, eg "xterm". The ssh session creates an encrypted tunnel for the X connection -- remember that X is a network protocol. There isn't much overhead for this and it generally the best way, although if you're connecting to or from a relatively slow machine you'll find performance lacklustre.

A variation on that theme is to run the X connection directly, not encrypted. The involves a little more work since you have to set up the authentication yourself. You can do this with xauth. This is pretty fast, low overhead and works well in reasonably swift network environment. I've done this (and the ssh thing above) over a 60KB/s link and it's OK once it's going but complicated apps like firefox take a while to start. On a LAN you'd be hard-pushed to tell most apps from their locally running counterpart. Of course, things that rely on OpenGL or video (which really would prefer to be local) and displaying large pictures can be noticeably slow.

For slow connections you can use NX or FreeNX. See nomachine.com. This has the advantage that it (mostly) works very well over slow connections. You can also attach to a running application -- I do that for an IRC client that runs all the time and I just have it display on my screen wherever I happen to be connected to the Internet.

NX falls between two stools with the way it handles windows. You can either have applications display in their own window or you can have a complete desktop. That's sometimes useful.

The complete desktop approach that's closest to the Windows VNC server is to run a vnc server extension in the X server: both Gnome and KDE refer to this as desktop sharing. It's occasionally very useful.

Something that's rather closer to, say, Windows Terminal Servers, is to run a VNC X server on the machine you're connecting to and have that use XDCMP to display a desktop login window. I do this for some machines where I want a desktop login -- for example, I usually use Fedora, but I occasionally want to log into an Ubuntu box so I simply get a desktop connection on that machine by connecting a vncviewer to port 5900 and then I get my very own desktop login. Other people can also get desktop logins at the same time, subjec to running out of resources.

Finally, there's a variation and a half on this which tends to be even better (depending on network bandwidth). Any X server can use the XDCMP protocol to find a login screen so you can use your fast expensive PC simply as a graphical screen on some server. X terminals work this way. A useful variation on that it to run Xnest (a nested X server) that uses XDCMP to get a login screen. Now I come to think of it, that's probably the closest thing to Windows Terminal Services.

I think that's seven different ways of getting apps to display. There are probably others. What's best for you depends on what it is you're trying to do and how much time you're prepared to invest in setting it up in the first place.

jch
        Dustin