[Xen-users] PCI passthrough x 3.1 x 3.2.1 x 3.2.2 x 3.3.0

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] PCI passthrough x 3.1 x 3.2.1 x 3.2.2 x 3.3.0
From: Christian Lyra <lyra@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 11:06:19 -0300
Delivery-date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 07:06:56 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
hi there,

        After a long night playing with various xen versions and kernels I
would like to share what I have found and ask for help. My current
setup is a xen 3.1. I hide 2 nics and 1 sata controller, and "give"
then to a domU firewall and a domU fileserver. Everything seems to work
right, except for a segfault on smpd while starting on boot.
        Now, i´d like to expand my setup and include a mythtv backend with a
dvb-s card. Since i saw people having bad experiences with 3.3.0 I did
not even bother to try (I should... really).
        So I got 3.2.2, did a make world && make install, and dom0 booted
right. My "main" bridge didnt came up but a ifconfig <bridge> up solved
the problem.  Earlier domUs seems to work (with the old 3.1 kernel!),
and i went to setup the new mythtv domU. First I tried to use the same
kernel of the domU, should work (right?), but didnt. So I went to
recompile the kernel, removing the PRIVILEGED_GUEST and XEN_BACKEND
options. The XEN config part is here[1].
        With the new kernel the domU booted but i got a ugly oops when the domU
tried to modprobe bttv modules.
        So, i wen to try 3.2.1, with the very same result. I ended up with my
old trusty 3.1...

        Perhaps the problem is the kernel config, as there was some changes
from 3.1 to 3.2. Any hints?

[1] http://lyra.soueu.com.br/pub/xen/config-3.2

--
Christian Lyra
POP-PR - RNP

http://lyra.soueu.com.br

I will not agree to let the heroes go free if they win a rigged contest,
even though my advisors assure me it is impossible for them to win.
                        The Top Things I'd Do
                        If I Ever Became an Evil Overlord