[Xen-users] Jumbo frames with domUs in bridging mode

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Jumbo frames with domUs in bridging mode
From: Trevor Bentley <trevor.bentley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 09:57:54 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 06:58:33 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi everyone,

I have looked through the list archives and seen a few posts about jumbo frame support, but there is no definitive answer on whether or not it has been tested or is working for anyone. I tried using an MTU of 9000 in a domU and encountered some very interesting and not-so-great results. My machines used in this test are:

* NFS (physical)
* dom0 (physical)
* domU (virtual)

The domU boots using the kernel's built-in NFS-root, with its filesystem stored on the NFS machine. I set the MTU to 9000 on eth1, peth1, and vif0.1 (on the physical machines) on the three machines, and the xenbr1 bridge on dom0 correctly displays MTU 9000 now. I used "ping -s 8000 <ip>" and "tracepath <ip>" to determine connectivity between the machines. The two physical servers, NFS and dom0, work completely and can send 9000 byte packets back and forth. However, domU was not so lucky. I can send 9000 byte packets *out* of domU without a problem to both the NFS server and the dom0. However, coming back in the maximum ping packet size it accepts is 4035 (i.e. "ping -s 4035 <ip>" works, "ping -s 4036 <ip>" hangs forever). I don't know how big the headers are, but I wouldn't be surprised if the actual limit is 4096.

I'm using CentOS's default package for the hypervisor and dom0 kernel, and Debian Lenny's package for the domU kernel. That means the hypervisor is 3.0.3 with most of the 3.1 changes backported, I believe. I'm not sure where this problem would be, though... since it's traveling through the bridge correctly in one direction, I think it's safe to assume the bridge is fine. That makes me think it's either Xen's netfront or netback driver.

My questions to all of you are:
 1) Has anyone else encountered this, and do you know how to fix it?
 2) Is anyone using jumbo frames in their domUs, and is it reliable?

Thank you much,

Trevor