Re: RES: [Xen-users] SAN + XEN + FC + LVM question(s)

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: RES: [Xen-users] SAN + XEN + FC + LVM question(s)
From: Wendell Dingus <wendell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 23:09:11 -0400 (EDT)
Delivery-date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 20:10:22 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Bruno, thanks to you and Javier both for your helpful replies.

Indeed I can see how the issue of an LVM *inside* an LVM could potentially be problematic. So far in my testing it has not been but then I've not introduced CLVM into the mix yet nor had it in service for any real period of time yet.

Doing some additional research I find numerous articles similar to this:
http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX117791

Getting at that *inner* LVM appears to not be without some effort. "kpartx" to add device mappings to /dev/mapper, pvscan, vgscan, lvchange, lvscan, etc... Based on that amount of effort I'm hopeful that no tools in the DOM0 would "accidentally" see that LVM data and do something to destroy it. I will continue to test things though.

Adding additional LV's and exposing them to the VM to grow the size of the VM possibly has a negative aspect, LV snapshots. If I am pushing 3 LV's into a VM from the DOM0 how can I make a single consistent snapshot for backup? Hmm...

Oh well a very interesting exercise with hopefully a very elegant solution.

Thanks again.