Re: [Xen-users] About RAM on DomU

To: smaug_valley@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] About RAM on DomU
From: Sadique Puthen <sputhenp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 02:08:42 +0530
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 13:40:23 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ivan Gonzalez wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> I have this doubt:
>
> Well, i have a my server with xen 3.0.2 and 4GB on RAM, i want to create on
> this server only one virtual machine.
>
> So, what's the maximum amount of RAM that can i give to my VM?? (Having in
> mind that my Dom0 only has 4GB :P)

There is no such hard limit. You can give all the remaining memory to
your guest which is not required for Dom0 to function. How much memory
you require for your Dom0 depends upon whether you run any applications
on dom0 or not. If you don't run any workload on Dom0 (which is
recommended from a security POV), 256 MB of memory would be more than
enough for Dom0 to function normally and you can allocate the rest of
the memory to Domu.

--Sadique