Re: [Xen-users] Problems with bridged networking

To: "Fischer, Anna" <anna.fischer@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Problems with bridged networking
From: Thomas Robers <robers@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 15:16:45 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 06:17:23 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Fischer, Anna schrieb:
Now I've booted Xen 3.0.3 again and almost everything works as
expected. After
booting all bridges are up and working.

Are you booting Xen 3.0.3 and Xen 3.2 on the same machine using the same
userspace tools but different kernels? Are you sure that you have not messed up
your networking scripts?

When you run Xen 3.2 (and it does not work), do you have connectivity between
Dom0 and external hosts using eth1?

Hello Anna,

maybe there's something mixed up. I remember that I had problems getting up 10
bridges
with Xen 3.0.3 from Debian.
I use a wrapper script which starts the bridges at boot time:

        /etc/xen/xend.config.sxp:
        (network-script network-bridge-wrapper)

        /etc/xen/scripts/network-bridge-wrapper:
        #!/bin/bash
        /etc/xen/scripts/network-bridge start vifnum=0 bridge=xenbr0 netdev=eth0
        /etc/xen/scripts/network-bridge start vifnum=1 bridge=xenbr1 netdev=eth1
        /etc/xen/scripts/network-bridge start vifnum=2 bridge=xenbr2 netdev=eth2
        /etc/xen/scripts/network-bridge start vifnum=3 bridge=xenbr3 netdev=eth3
        /etc/xen/scripts/network-bridge start vifnum=4 bridge=xenbr4 netdev=eth4
        /etc/xen/scripts/network-bridge start vifnum=5 bridge=xenbr5 netdev=eth5
        /etc/xen/scripts/network-bridge start vifnum=6 bridge=xenbr6 netdev=eth6
        /etc/xen/scripts/network-bridge start vifnum=7 bridge=xenbr7 netdev=eth7
        /etc/xen/scripts/network-bridge start vifnum=8 bridge=xenbr8 netdev=eth8
        /etc/xen/scripts/network-bridge start vifnum=9 bridge=xenbr9 netdev=eth9

But with the 'network-bridge'-script from Debian I only got 4 bridges from
xenbr0
up to xenbr3. So I exchanged the script with the one from the binary package
from
xen.org and with that script everything worked as expected.
And now I made the upgrade via backports.org to hypervisor version 3.2 and
there's
Xen Hypervisor version 3.0.3 and 3.2.0 installed and bootable. And it works
with Hypervisor 3.0.3 and 3.2.0 as long as  I make *no* upgrade of the Debian
package 'xen-utils-common'

        server:~# apt-show-versions xen-utils-common
        xen-utils-common/etch upgradeable from 3.0.3-0-2 to 3.2.0-1~bpo4+1

Tomorrow I will make that update and see what happens but the main problem seem
to me, that the 'network-bridge'-script stops setting up xenbr bridges. Is it
possible to set limitations regarding how many bridges are possible? Or is there
any other reason, why only 4 briges got up? I haven't found anything and the
fact
that it works with the script from xen.org looks to me like an error in the
Debian
script, or am I wrong?

Thanks!
Thomas